Ceviche is perfect when you are looking for that light, protein packed snack or meal. I used nut thins crackers instead of tortilla chips to keep it on the healthy side. Could also use rice crackers, or whatever you choose.
Light, healthy and tasty..... my favorite type of food. I also did a shrimp ceviche with the same ingredients, only I boiled the shrimp in water to cook it first, chopped it and added the rest of the ingredients. Other fish you can use instead of Cod would be Halibut, Red Snapper, or Sole.
- 1/2 lb of cod filet (about 2 cups chopped)
- 1 medium avocado, cut into chunks
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tbsp red onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 3 limes juiced
- 2 more limes
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the fish into small chunks. Add to a glass or stainless steel bowl.
- Add the lemon and lime juice. Make sure the fish is fully emerged in juice.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, may need longer. Marinading the fish in citrus cooks the fish. Check fish by breaking a chunk apart. If its done, it will easily flake apart, as if it were cooked. If its not, keep marinading longer until its done.
- Once cooked, strain the fish from the juice. Add back to bowl, or a new bowl.
- Add the tomato, avocado, red onion and cilantro.
- Juice the remaining 2 limes over the top.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Gently toss to combine.
- Serve with your choice or cracker or chips, or use a fork. Its up to you.